Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My mom defends Philip Pullman!

My mom and I are both Aries. We are cut from the same cloth in many, many ways. And this, among other things, has caused us to clash regularly and often. But one thing I have been and always will be in awe of is my mom's ability to articulate some deep wisdom. Recently, I got an email from her that included her response to one of her more religiously conservative friend's slam on the upcoming Golden Compass movie. I would include the whole thing her but I'm afraid some Lit student will steal it for an essay, its that good. :) Here's the highlights:

Pullman may indeed be an atheist. His novels, however, while they show organized religion in very negative ways, show that heroism, loyalty, and faithfulness are rewarded. I am not going to rush my little ones to see this movie although I do not think that it would injure them. But when they are old enough to read the books, I'd certainly encourage them to do so. And, we read the Narnia tales until our paperback copies wore out. God's truth is not so weak that it will fall when others speak differently and we can learn things from those other viewpoints.

I'm not sure this little snipet really does her whole argument justice, but it gives you a taste. The discussion reminded me of the quote at the end of Criminal Minds last week:
Fairy tales don't teach children that dragons exist. They already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales teach children that dragons can be slayed. -- G.K.Chesterton

No comments: