Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Am I Blogger or a woman with thoughts that need to be dumped somewhere?

When I was in 6th grade, I subscribed to Thrasher magazine and bought a used Powell & Peralta skateboard. I lived in the country. Surrounded by farmhouses and fields of corn/beans/cows/horses. I rode my skull & sword skateboard with my blue "cons" on, up and down that country road...but was I really a skater? I mean, come on, you can say it...I was a poser. I didn't beg my mom to drive me into the city skateparks so I could learn new tricks or meet up with some other sk8 dudes. I just rolled back & forth on my board in front of my gravel driveway.

So the question I'm pondering now is if I blog on the Internet am I a blogger? Blogs can be so many different things...daily journals, homework lists, recipe reviews, weather analysis, etc. All those blogs have a clear purpose. Some postings may be short and sweet, others rambling and drawn out. But they all tie into a specific theme. But what about me...I'm a "fair/sour weather friend" blogger...when I've got something in my life I want to pour into words or cute pictures of my kids, I blog. But many a day go by without a blog post because I'm too busy, not feeling literary, too mad, too sad, too happy, plain old lazy. Am I a poser blogger? Is there a "true blogger" community? If there is, are the criteria things like: write in complete sentences, spell correctly, write in complete thoughts, have a clear point to your writing, include world events and philosophy, clearly state opinions and observations, etc. Boy, by that definition, I'm so not a true blogger. I can barely get the words on the screen, let alone have them mean something half the time. But hey, a book is still a book even if the author just scribbles on the pages and no one ever reads it right...

Maybe instead of just rolling past my gravel driveway on my skateboard I had actually spoken with some other skaters, I could have learned a thing or two about skateboarding and become an actually skateboarder...Maybe I should get out there and mingle with some other bloggers...hmmm.

4 comments:

~rachel~ said...

How do you mingle? Leaving comments on new blogs? Yeah I'm not good at that at all! I would love to pour out all my thoughts on my blog, and is originally how I pictured it, but then I shared it w/ family and I just don't want to do that so instead I put up cute pictures of my kids...(sigh)

momharriet said...

The "poser" is testing the water. I'm thinking that the repeated behavior is what makes us "something." Glad you gave up skateboarding! Keep up with this if it feels right. Repeated behavior, I've become a spinner!

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

Get out and mingle! (And by that I mean I hope to see you at my little party!)

I don't know that there is a good definition of what a "true blogger" is. Blogging is what you want to make of it. If you are writing for yourself, that's great. If you are writing for others, that's great too.

There isn't anything in the rulebooks about blogging with regularity or on a particular subject. (Lord knows I'm all over the place!)

That being said, if you do want a following, you have to become part of the "community." Put yourself out there by leaving comments on other blogs and creating dialog and people will start coming to you.

I have found myself so busy with "creating content" that I am not leaving comments as often as I used to. Part of that is that I read mostly from my iPhone now and I don't want to put forth the effort to hunt and peck a comment.

For me the online space is a place to rant and rave, write creatively, express myself, and interact with others.

And the great thing is that there is always someone there no matter the hour.

The good thing about feed readers? If you post once a day or once a month, I will know that you've posted and stop by.

Lavender Lemonade said...

Thanks for the advice, Leighann. I've found that since I quit my 40 hr a week job, I don't have as much time to blog hop! HA! But yeah, you're right, I miss reading other people's blogs regularly. :)