Wednesday, October 29, 2008

5 years and counting

So T-Dad and I passed a major milestone over the weekend...our 5 year wedding anniversary. Its really hard to believe that 5 years have passed..but its also hard to believe Bug is 4 1/2...and if you do the math, yep, that's right...Bug was at our wedding, in utero. We planned our wedding in 6 weeks, it was really amazing. It was a regular church wedding with all the friends and family invited. It was a beautiful fall day and almost everything went off without a hitch. ;) In many ways, we hit the ground running as a married couple, soon to be family. In other ways...we got to continue "as we were". After we actually tied the knot, we had to continue to live separately for the next 6 months. We had jobs, apartments, commitments in separate cities. We were alone, yet married. Married means a lot of different things to people. We didn't get to play "newlyweds", we continued to play "long distance relationship". And everyone knows that's got its good points and bad points but when married and pregnant...its mostly bad points. In a lot of ways, I feel like that first 6 months really defined our marriage. Not in a bad way, but perhaps a different way then some. To this day, we are separate and together. Most likely, we were predisposed to this sort of relationship anyway, but it has stuck with us. Don't get me wrong, we're "together" but I think in our minds we process things more as individuals than as a unit or couple. Our relationship, married life, parental duties, home life is very 50/50. There are very few, if any, areas that are ever totally mine or totally his. (i.e. breastfeeding was all mine, when I'm pregnant the litter boxes are all his) We can each do what the other does regardless of what it is. Its good and bad...good because we are totally equal and no one can really claim "i'm doing it all", but having an area that is your responsibility means that you know it gets done for the most part...but when both individuals have equal responsibility for all areas...sometimes...it doesn't get done. But that's probably a discussion for another post.

Anyway...I found a perfect card for T-Dad this year (except it showed some strange bunny rabbit couple sitting on a park bench with flowers all over it)...
It said "If I hadn't found you" on the front and inside "I'd be forever looking". And I sincerely believe that. Getting pregnant with Bug was a form of "divine intervention" because it forced me to see the lucky woman I was...I had an interesting, intelligent, like-minded man who loved me, who was excited about becoming a father and wanted to spend the rest of his life with us. And thank the universe and God and intuition and all the good advice I received...because here we are 5 years later and still going strong.

4 comments:

Quigs78 said...

Aww...congrats you two! Have a super fab day!

Misc said...

Congratulations!

Amy said...

Well, as you know, I can totally relate. The Joker and I both believe in fate & destiny and if both of those things weren't working with us then we would have never found each other.

It is pretty awesome how you two make it work and here's (raising my water glass) to many more years together for you guys. =) Congrats!

~rachel~ said...

Congrats!!