Monday, October 06, 2008

Creek Water Poo

Beware, pooping is discussed in some detail...


So we've been playing "House" at our house. Using our years of medical knowledge to decipher the icky code spelled out in poop. Mealyworm has been plagued with diarrhea for months. We've had a few days reprive in there and each time we breathe a sigh of relief and think "Thank goodness, a Peanut Butter poop instead of creek water poop." She goes through multiple outfits a day, tons of diaper cream, knows precisely how to say "I poopy, ouchy bottom, mama." so we hurry off to do a diaper change. We've tried all kinds of things...increasing the banana intake, cutting out juice, eating only "low acid" foods. At one point, I convinced myself it was all the plentiful Fall apples I've been feeding my kids. So no more applesauce, cider, sliced apples, etc. Blah, blah, blah. Fortunately, we aren't doing this alone...we've even visited the doctor and handed in a lovely array of poop samples, each painstakingly collected with a wooden stick and smeared into different vials to be tested for various diseases/bacterias, etc. And all have come back negative.

So....at the recommendation of the PA we've been seeing, we are approaching it from the new angle - Lactose Intolerance.

Since I've cut out all juice and now milk...MealyWorm is going to be having a lot of water in the coming days. I'm assuming Lactose-Free Milk and Soy Milk are viable options...? No yogart, no cheese, no ice cream...ugh... this poor kid. :(

6 comments:

Jason said...

You may still be able to include (some) aged cheeses and yogurt in a lactose-free diet. Many of them have little or no lactose and some still have the lactase enzymes needed to break down the lactose.

Misc said...

You can also try either almond or rice milk. Both are yummy and come flavored or plain.

Quigs78 said...

Aww. Poor MW. My niece has had lactose issues since she was an infant. She drinks soy milk, but can eat cheese and ice cream in limited quantities.

As hard as it will be to adjust, it would be nice to know you found the cause!

Amy said...

I hope for her (and your) sake that it isn't lactose intolerance. I know how much she loves milk.

However, my nephew has lactose intolerance and he drinks lactose free milk and loves it! They sell it at Meijer. I can't remember the name right now =)

Anonymous said...

You can get coconut milk ice cream and yogurt now. Both are yummy!

VeganLinda said...

There are so many non-dairy milks out there now (many of them have been mentioned). Hemp, oat, nut milks, potato (I haven't tried that one, but friends who have multiple allergies use it). There is also soy yogurt and rice yogurt (I can't recommend the rice though). Lots of different ice creams too...rice, nut, coconut, soy, etc. Cow's milk intolerance is very common, but most people don't realize that is causing their stomach issues. Good luck and I hope it helps to cut out the lactose.